Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Sharing fom a Distance

Megan Barone



On March Friday the 13th, I left Alden High School unaware that it was the last time I would teach Rob Currin's senior students face-to-face. While working with them for seven weeks, I learned so much about myself as a teacher and even more about young adults. I met some of the most kind-hearted, inspirational students, and I feel incredibly grateful to have had this opportunity. These classes were essentially my introduction into this career. I was pushed to become a better teacher every day, and sometimes felt like I failed, but the effort and support of these students made those failures worth it. Although the future is uncertain, I am so much more excited to enter this field of education because of these students.

These five students started a narrative project during regular school hours and completed their projects at home. They were tasked with producing a narrative that tells the story of the themselves, their community, or their culture. Here are their stories.








Erin shares her message about confidence and fearlessness. 
She is a cancer survivor and passionate in theatre. 


Megan tells her story about navigating through 
the educational system with ADHD.





Zach's narrative is about remaining true to himself through
performing arts, despite the gender and social pressures he's faced.







Sam is an introvert advocate who boldly
shares her message about the power of silence.





The following is an excerpt from a student's narrative who wished to submit their work anonymously. It is a gorgeous, soul-touching piece.

            I could have written about many things for this assignment. I could have written about growing up during the recession, when running out of ramen noodles meant running out of food, and old socks were kept so holes could be cut for fingers to go through in the colder months. I could tell you in uncomfortable detail how I became accustomed to holes punched in walls and learned to recognize how dangerous someone was by the way they walked. I could recount how tough middle school was, when I was diagnosed with depression. Anxiety. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Bipolar Disorder. Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Maybe I could write about some reliable injuries, like shattered bones or how on my tenth birthday I had to think about the possibility of losing my foot. If I really wanted to, I could even tell you about waking in the middle of the night by screams and reviving overdosing family members who will never speak of it again.
            I don’t want to write about any of these things. They make people feel uncomfortable and frankly I’m tired of talking about it. People look at me, but they don’t see me. I think one of the constants of the human condition is at once desperately desiring to be seen and simultaneously suffering from the unbearable fear of that really happening. I have left pieces of myself everywhere I’ve gone and I’m afraid of what will happen when someone comes dusting for fingerprints. Everything is a diary, the way you walk, the way your teeth are shaped and colored, your handwriting, your bedroom. I don’t want people to think I am only the bad things that have happened to me or even the good things that have happened to me. I can’t help but wonder if it’s okay to be a trope, and I can’t help but wonder if it’s okay to be more than one. 

  If you wish to continure reading, please follow this link: Anonymous Narrative

6 comments:

  1. As we were approaching online instruction, I did not believe that teachers would be this heavily affected on such a level. I was amazed at the love and emotional strife that the teachers I knew and read about have for not only their students, but their professions as well.

    The quote, "I don’t want people to think I am only the bad things that have happened to me or even the good things that have happened to me." is something so powerful and whoever wrote that is such a brave and wise soul. I believe that people should look past the negativity in one another and seek out positive vibes in each other. After reading this, it opened my eyes to that and I am grateful I had the opportunity to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    You welcome the viewer into areas of your life that are extremely personal and you did with sincere self reflection and awareness. The strength and resilience are admirable and are traits that will continue to take you far in life. Your recollections about each year of high school brought back memories of my own experience, it's really such a time of growth and change. I enjoyed this snippet of your life and thank you for allowing us in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan!
    I enjoyed your personal narrative on your experience with ADHD. As someone who is in school for Childhood Education, you helped put into perspective the many obstacles that my potential future students may face. I'm understanding more and more how diverse a classroom can be, racially, ethnically, ability or disability, and so much more. Thank you for sharing your frustrations in school and how you cope, these things really do matter. I'm sure others find this useful and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This writing is so personally as it touches mental health and the effects it has on people. This is powerful as the author shares their story and how we should all realize that we are all different but the same in many ways. We are allowed to share our difference by helping each other. I love this. It is beautifully written and very true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Zach,

    I hope this isn't weird, but I feel so proud of you for pursuing what you love despite the adversity that you've faced. Some people just love to bring others down--I'm glad that you didn't let it affect you. I can tell you have a knack for theatre! This was like a monologue on its own... ;)
    If we stop doing what we love merely because other people don't find it to their preference, what does that make us? We should find preference for being shamed by a few ignorant people and happy than accepted and miserable. Life is all about finding our own balance. We live for ourselves, not everyone else. I hope that you continue to stay happy.

    Don't give up, Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sam,

    Beautiful story about your life as an introvert! It made me feel less alone... Well, I'm definitely more of a mixture of introverted and shy, so halfway, I guess? It's amazing how you've developed a sense of security with yourself and practise that into your every day.
    Your idea about implementing better guidelines to keep discussion open to both introverts and extroverts alike is amazing! So many times are other students hushed because the same few can't stop sharing their opinions for two seconds to realise there are other people out there who want to be heard. I think limiting the amount of times one can speak in a discussion or at least limiting their duration of speaking could really help. It would be a lot more inclusive. Hearing your story was very heartwarming, Sam, and I hope you keep staying true to yourself.

    From, Morgan

    ReplyDelete

7th Graders Write Social Justice Short Stories!

Note from Mr. Bavisotto Storytelling is an ancient human tradition practiced across centuries, continents, and cultures. When designing...